Follow me on a road trip in Ontario including canoe camping and stops in Killarney, Halliburton, Niagara Falls and of course Toronto!
I have fallen head over heels for Canada one the first day of my first big solo backpacking adventure in 2012. Back then it was British Columbia and Alberta that stole my heart – Vancouver, the Rockies, Victoria and Tweedsmuir Provincial Park. Four years later I was set on a road trip in Ontario. I wanted to see Toronto and the Niagara Falls, but also get off the beaten path and into the forest, and finally try canoe camping. In these two weeks I saw enough to fill many notebooks and memory cards – and make a little video!
My itinerary was:
– 2 days in Killarney to come down from traveling and get an introduction to the wilderness of Ontario. (staying ay Killarney Mountain Lodge)
– 2 days canoe camping in Killarney Provincial Park with Killarney Outfitters – this was the best outdoor adventure I’ve ever had.
– 1 day in Haliburton Forest to join the annual BBQ at Haliburton Forest Lodge & Wildlife Reserve, and get close up with the forest on a Canopy Tour.
– 1 day in Niagara on the Lake to experience the Niagara Falls (you don’t just see a waterfall this big) and taste some wines at Peller Estates.
– And finally roughly 10 days in Toronto which were filled with mostly coffee shop hopping, but also many attractions and an afternoon of stand-up paddle boarding.
This road trip in Ontario was one of my favourite trips this year, if not in my entire life. Traveling solo through such an incredibly beautiful country with the kindest people and most serene landscapes made me fall in love all over again. I wish I could have had more time to see even more, spend another night or two in the tent and find more lakes to jump into, but alas the dream was over way too fast.
Canada, you did it again!
Watch the Video:
Read my full 10 day itinerary for Ontario (I shortened the Toronto section) over at Travelettes!
// In collaboration with Ontario Travel //